To initiate the phone activation process, follow these steps:
- Open any Office application like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- If you are not already prompted for a product key, go to the ‘”File” menu and click on “Account” at the bottom of the navigation pane.
- Under “Product Information”, click on “Activate Product”.
- Choose “I have a product key” and enter your product key.
- You will then be prompted to choose how you want to activate your software. Choose “I want to activate the software by telephone” instead of “Internet”.
Noting down the installation ID
After choosing to activate Office by phone, you will be prompted to generate an Installation ID. The Installation ID is a unique code that you will provide to Microsoft’s automated system during the phone call. Follow these steps to generate it:
- Upon selecting the option to activate Office by phone, a new window will appear displaying your Installation ID. It will be a long string of numbers grouped into several fields.
- Make a note of this Installation ID, as you will need it during your phone call.
Making the call
Once you have your Installation ID, you’re ready to make the call to Microsoft’s automated activation service. Here’s how:
- In the “Activate office over the telephone” window, select the country or region you are calling from. It will then display a toll-free number that you can call. Most countries have a number with a free call at the expense of Microsoft.
- Dial the toll-free number and follow the automated prompts.
- When asked, enter the Installation ID using your phone’s keypad.
- Listen carefully to the automated system. It will provide you with a Confirmation ID once it verifies your Installation ID.
Keep a pen and paper handy to write down the Confirmation ID.
Entering the confirmation ID
After you’ve received your Confirmation ID from the automated phone system, you’ll need to enter it into the Microsoft Office activation wizard to complete the activation process. Here’s how:
- Return to the “Activate office over the telephone” window on your computer, where you previously found your Installation ID.
- You’ll see a series of empty fields labeled for the Confirmation ID (A to H). Carefully enter the Confirmation ID that you noted down during the phone call.